Oct 25, 2008

Mukhriz denies dad’s role in good run

KAMPUNG GAJAH: Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir says his good run in the number of nominations received for the Umno Youth chief’s post had nothing to do with his father’s influence.

“If my father’s influence had been a criteria for me to contest, why should I have waited until his retirement to do so?

“My father headed the party for 22 years. Surely if I had wanted to use his influence, I should have been active in politics way back then,” Mukhriz said after meeting Pasir Salak Umno Youth members here on Thursday.

The Jerlun MP added that it was Tun Dr Mahathir’s principles that forbade him from active politics when his father was in power.

Earlier in his speech, Mukhriz said the upcoming Umno elections was a golden opportunity to bring about much-needed change and inject new hope into the party.


No comments: