Sep 27, 2007

Tun Dr Mahathir making significant progress

Latest news on Tun Mahathir's condition

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is continuing to make significant progress, four days after his second surgical procedure on Saturday for wound debridement.

According to a statement released by the National Heart Institute (IJN), Dr Mahathir is now breathing on his own and doctors are focusing on post surgical rehabilitation.

These include physiotherapy to his chest to optimise respiratory function and exercises to his arms and legs to build muscle strength.

Dr Mahathir continues to be warded in the intensive care unit.

His daughter Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir, meanwhile, wrote in her blog that the former Prime Minister "looked pretty good, for someone in ICU".

"Apparently he spent time last night grilling the doctors. I'm not sure many patients get to do that but as he sometimes like to sniffily remind us, 'I'm a doctor too, you know!"

"Isn't there some adage about doctors making bad patients?" she wrote, adding that she refer to think of a patient with personality as one who's definitely on the mend.

tags :

Sep 23, 2007

Tun Mahathir has surgery for chest infection: aide

Recent development of Tun Mahathir

(AFP) KUALA LUMPUR: Former Malaysian premier Mahathir Mohamad has had further surgery and has been put on a respirator after a recent heart bypass caused a chest infection, an aide said on Sunday.

Sufi Yusof said the next 72 hours will be the crucial period in Mahathir's post-operative care, adding that the ex-prime minister was in stable condition.

"He is on post-cardiac surgery support. Mahathir is not conscious and is breathing with the support of a respirator," he told AFP.

Sufi said Mahathir had the three-hour procedure late Saturday to remove infected tissue from his chest.

"Mahathir is expected to remain on support for at least 36 hours for post-operative care," he said.

Mahathir, who underwent a five-hour heart operation on September 4, was reportedly making a rapid recovery. He previously had bypass surgery in 1989.

Mahathir resigned in 2003 after 22 years in power, handing the reins over to the current prime minister, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Despite retiring from office, Mahathir remains a hugely influential figure and has become an outspoken critic of his successor, accusing him of economic mismanagement, nepotism and corruption.


tags :

Sep 22, 2007

Tun Mahathir's Appetite Improving, Having Meals On His Own

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 21 (Bernama) -- Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's appetite is improving and is eating meals on his own, the National Heart Institute (IJN) said today.

It said doctors are focusing on intensive exercises on his arms and legs, as well as physiotherapy to optimise his respiratory functions and to increase muscle strength.

"His vital parameters continue to be stable," it said in a statement.

Dr Mahathir would continue to be under observation at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), it added.

Dr Mahathir, 81, who underwent his second coronary bypass surgery on Sept 4 at the premier heart centre, was transferred back to ICU 10 days later.

He came out of the ICU to the normal Bunga Raya Ward on Sept 12.

tags :

Sep 13, 2007

Challenge to ACA - LKS

As the saying goes "Same old story", or so called "old newspaper", this time we can expect something to be different?.

AS per LKS's blog

In China, a senior official at the Agricultural Bank of China was executed for corruption following years of ordering suppliers to pay him kickbacks. Wen Mengjie, 50, former head of information technology at one of the bank’s Beijing branches, was executed Tuesday for embezzling and taking bribes worth 15 million yuan (USD1.97 million).

In the Philippinnes, former president Joseph Estrada was sentenced to jail in prison after he was found guilty of massive corruption and plundering the country of tens of millions of dollars in tax kickbacks and bribes.

In Japan, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced he would resign after being dogged by a string of damaging scandals that hampered his reform agenda.

What do we have in Malaysia? Another year of shocking revelations of corruption, criminal breach of trust, overspending and mismanagement of funds by the Auditor-General, Tan Sri Amrin Buang – with the apt headline of the the New Straits Times yesterday “Same old story year in year out” – while the culture of impunity reigns on without anyone in high office having to bear responsibility for corruption and abuse of power.


Find out more from here :

  • NST : Auditor-General's report: Same old story year in, year out

  • Malaysiakini : Show me your teeth, Kit Siang to ACA


  • tags :

    Sep 12, 2007

    Will the real "flag burner" please stand up

    While our PM is saddened by the news of the "flag burner",

    (NST) KUCHING: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the rioting in Kuala Terengganu on Saturday could be the opposition’s desperate attempt to gain political mileage in the once Pas-ruled state.
    "Maybe they are under pressure because the Barisan Nasional government has developed this once laidback state. Nothing really happened during their time.

    "Now they see that the state has developed in a short period and they are trying to do nasty things to tarnish the government and the police. This is their brand of politics," Abdullah said.

    The prime minister said he was saddened that Malaysians could be instigated to burn the Jalur Gemilang, which is a national symbol held in high esteem by the rakyat.

    "Why burn the national flag, what did the Jalur Gemilang do to them? These things would not have happened if the organisers had respected the police and the laws of the country.

    "But their intentions were different, they were well prepared to create a ruckus. That is why they came prepared with Molotov cocktails and other dangerous objects to attack the police. The riot was premeditated," he said.

    The opposition parties urged the police to reval the identity of the man.

    As reported by Malaysiakini :
    Opposition parties PAS and PKR today urged the police to reveal the identity of the man photographed burning the national flag during the clash in Kuala Terengganu over the weekend.

    The photograph, which showed a man wearing a crash helmet, was published by almost all the major dailies.

    In a joint press conference in Kuala Lumpur, both PAS and PKR stressed that the police were capable of identifying the culprit.

    PKR Youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Akin said there were good reasons to suspect that those involved in the incident were agent provocateurs out to tarnish the name of opposition parties.

    “We see the pictures in the newspapers and we know, they were taken by the police,” he claimed, adding that there were reports in the Chinese media stating that the police had confiscated the cameras of pressmen during the incident.




    Sep 11, 2007

    Motion To Debate Terengganu Riot Rejected cos it wasn't URGENT

    It was not urgent case. Enough said!

    KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 11 (Bernama) -- The Dewan Rakyat today rejected a motion to debate the riot in Kuala Terengganu on Saturday night in which seven people, including four policemen, were injured.

    Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Ramli Ngah Talib dismissed the motion on the ground that although the issue was of public interest, it was not urgent.

    "What happened was the police were quelling a riot," he said.

    When tabling the motion, Salahuddin Ayub (PAS-Kubang Kerian) said the Internal Security Ministry should explain why live bullets had been used against unarmed civilians.

    "There are question marks over police integrity in this episode as it appeared that there was a `trigger-happy' attitude vis-a-vis civilians without giving a second thought to people's lives and public safety," he said.

    Salahuddin claimed that such an incident would not have happened if police issued permits to those wishing to organise peaceful gatherings.

    The riot was sparked when police instructed the crowd of hundreds at an illegal political gathering at Jalan Sultan Mahmud, close to Batu Burok in the Terengganu capital, to disperse.

    Report by Malaysiakini :
    An urgent motion to debate the violent stand off between the police and opposition supporters in Kuala Terengganu on Saturday night was rejected by the Dewan Rakyat speaker Ramli Ngah Talib today.

    Ramli agreed with Salahuddin Ayub (PAS-Kubang Kerian), who brought the motion, that the matter was of public interest but ruled that it was not an urgent matter that needed to be debated and discussed in the House.

    “It is just a riot and the police are investigating. Therefore I find the matter is of no urgency and I reject your appeal to discuss the matter now in this proceeding,” he said.

    Salahuddin had filed the motion yesterday and hoped that the matter would be allowed to be discussed today.

    In the motion, Salahuddin said that the incident, which resulted in scores hurt and two men shot by a police fire, should be debated as it involved public interest.

    He said that the Internal Security Ministry should explain as to why a live bullet was used to disperse the crowd.

    “This House must be given the necessary and just opportunity to discuss and debate on the tragedy so justice can prevail,” he said in the motion.

    “The Internal Security Ministry must explain to the people of Malaysia why live bullets were fired upon unarmed civilians,” added Salahuddin.

    He blamed the police of being ‘trigger happy’ and lacking respect for the lives and safety of the public.




    PAS calls for independent probe into shooting

    Calls from different parties for independent investigation.

    Report from Malaysiakini :

    Opposition leaders today called for an investigation into the shooting of two protesters at a political rally which went ugly after police halted the event from proceeding.

    Police, who also used tear gas and water cannon when a riot broke out at the rally in Terengganu on Saturday, have defended the action by a plainclothes officer who they said acted in self-defence.

    Two PAS members were injured in the incident, with a 37-year-old man wounded in the lungs and a 21-year-old in the neck, but both are now in stable condition, the party said.

    The leader of the PAS in Terengganu, Mustafa Ali, called on the government to hold a royal commission into the shooting.

    "People recognised that the policeman in plain clothes was trying to instigate the violence. So they tried to catch him," he told a press conference.

    "It has been planned. It was a collaboration between Umno and police. And it happened due to provocation. I call on the government to investigate the matter."

    Other political parties and rights groups also hit out at the ruling party and police.

    "What frightened me the most was the use of bullets to disperse the crowd who came to attend a peaceful gathering," said Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, secretary-general of the opposition PKR.

    "It is not a good sign for democracy," he said. "I hope this is not an attempt by the government to silence the opposition. Such attitudes will make Malaysia less attractive to foreign investment."




    Malaysian government rejects calls for probe into Terengganu riots

    Call for independent inquiry by LKS "Batu Burok riot - immediate independent public inquiry warranted"

    and the result is..

    (AFP) KUALA LUMPUR : The Malaysian government has rejected the opposition's call for an independent inquiry into the bloody weekend clash in the north-eastern state of Terengganu.

    Seven people were injured, including two who were hit by live bullets.

    Speaking to our correspondent, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, Nazri Aziz, defended the firing of tear gas and use of water canons by police.

    The clash between Malaysian riot police and more than 500 people attending a public forum took place in the heart of Terengganu state.

    During the forum organised by the opposition coalition, the speaker delivered a lecture calling for clean and fair elections.

    Police say the crowd had gathered without a legal permit, so they fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse the people.

    Seven were injured and more than 20 arrested.

    Also for the first time, live bullets were alleged to have been fired into the crowd, severely injuring two opposition Islamic Party members.

    Although their condition is said to be stable, the opposition has demanded an immediate independent inquiry into the incident.

    Opposition and human rights leaders have condemned what they call excessive use of force by the police.

    Mustapa Ali, Chief (Terengganu), Pan-Malaysia Islamic Party, said: "There must be a thorough investigation by an independent body because we believe what happened was planned and premeditated by the government and the police. They will find any avenue to stop our message from reaching the masses."

    Denying the charges, the government also rejected the need for an independent inquiry.

    Nazri Aziz said: "It's very clear. You don't have the permit, you don't do it. There are laws in this country so you don't need a royal commission to look into this."

    Mr Nazri said the crowd triggered the clash by hurling rocks and Molotov cocktails at the police.

    He added: "Police are also normal human beings. They've been attacked by a group of people they have every right to defend themselves, you can't wait till you're injured."

    Despite the government's defence of the police action, opposition and human rights groups have vowed not to let the matter rest, saying they'll sue the police, press for debate in parliament, and continue holding more rallies.

    Sep 10, 2007

    Tun Mahathir Recuperating, Can Eat Roti Canai And Drink Milk Now

    KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 10 (Bernama) -- Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is recuperating steadily on his sixth day of post-coronary bypass operation and had roti canai and high energy milk for breakfast today.

    The National Heart Institute (IJN) said in a statement that after breakfast the former prime minister had a full shower and walked gently around his bed.

    It added that he would continue with his intensive chest physiotherapy.

    On Friday, Dr Mahathir had his first soft diet of ice cream and porridge for lunch.

    However, the former premier who underwent a coronary bypass operation last Tuesday, is still warded at that Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and visitors are restricted to immediate family members.

    Sep 5, 2007

    Doctors Happy With Dr Mahathir's Progress After Surgery

    Latest report from BERNAMA :

    KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 5 (Bernama) -- Doctors are happy with Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's progress, which is as expected in post by-pass surgery, the National Heart Institute (IJN) said Wednesday.

    The 81-year-old former prime minister, who is still warded at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after undergoing a five-hour coronary by-pass surgery at the institute yesterday, is in stable condition.

    "Tun Dr Mahathir remains stable following close overnight observation by doctors and nurses at the Intensive Care Unit of IJN.

    "All his vital parameters, thus far, are also stable as anticipated," the institute said in a statement.

    He is, however, still within the crucial intensive observation period and will continue to be warded at the ICU and visitation is only for immediate family members, the statement adds.

    Meanwhile, his special officer, Sufi Yusof, said Dr Mahathir was still sedated.

    This is his second by-pass surgery. His first was done at the institute on Jan 24, 1989, following a heart attack.

    His son, Datuk Mirzan, and sister-in-law Tan Sri Saleha Mohd Ali were seen visiting him at 10.30am today.


    While reports from Malaysiakini :
    Mahathir’s 48 hours of critical stage
    Former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has been given 48 hours by his doctors to regain consciousness following his second coronary bypass surgery yesterday.

    He is still in a critical stage after undergoing the five-hour surgery at the National Heart Institute (IJN) in Kuala Lumpur yesterday morning.

    His son Mukhriz was quoted by Bernama today as saying that the attention was now on the second phase (post-surgery) for 81-year-old Mahathir's recovery.

    He added that the family hoped this stage would go smoothly and safely.

    "This recovery phase is a ‘lifeline’ for dad, because anything can happen during this time. So we need to pray harder and give special care and attention for him to pass this second test,” said Mukhriz, who is Mahathir’s fifth child.

    "The doctors said my father's situation is stable and that his heartbeat and pulse are normal,” he added.

    Bernama quoted him as saying that the family was hoping for Mahathir to regain consciousness any time, and that they will keep the media informed of developments from time to time.

    Sep 3, 2007

    Tun Mahathir to have bypass surgery on Tuesday

    PETALING JAYA: Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad will undergo coronary bypass surgery at the National Heart Institute (IJN) tomorrow morning.

    His son, Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir confirmed that Dr Mahathir had been admitted into IJN yesterday for the surgery.

    “He is all right and preparing for the operation. He wanted to wait until after the Merdeka celebrations,” he said when contacted yesterday.

    Dr Mahathir’s most recent public appearance was during the Merdeka Day Parade at Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur, with his wife Tun Dr Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali where he was seen waving the Jalur Gemilang to the beat of the music.

    Mokhzani said Dr Siti Hasmah was with his father at the hospital. IJN is expected to release a statement on Dr Mahathir today.

    No visitors are allowed.

    “We ask that all Malaysians pray for his good health,” Mokhzani added.

    According to a press statement released by the National Heart Institute (IJN) on Monday, Tan Sri Dr Yahya Awang will head the surgery team while IJN's medical director Datuk Seri Dr Robaayah Zambahari is heading the panel of doctors attending him.

    "Doctors have advised against Tun Dr Mahathir receiving any visitors with the exception of immediate family members," it said.

    The statement added that Dr Mahathir had been admitted to IJN on Sunday as a preparation for an elective coronary bypass surgery, which will take place Tuesday.

    Dr Mahathir underwent a coronary bypass operation in 1989 at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital following a heart attack.