Jul 4, 2007

Anwar's RM100m defamation suit against Tun Mahathir struck off

The High Court here on Wednesday struck off Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's RM100mil defamation suit against Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

Anwar filed the defamation suit against the former prime minister on Jan 27 last year over his statement about Anwar’s sodomy charges.

As reported by MalaysiaKini

A RM100 million defamation suit launched by ex-deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim against his former boss Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s over a ‘gay’ remark has been thrown out of court.

This came as the Kuala Lumpur High Court this morning allowed Mahathir’s bid to strike out the suit filed by Anwar after Mahathir called him a ‘sodomist’ in 2005 at a human rights conference.

The decision was delivered by Judicial Commissioner Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat.

The judge said that Anwar’s suit was “obviously unsustainable” and that Mahathir’s remark was a “fair comment made in the public interest”.

Anwar’s lawyer Sankara Nair said his client was upset over the ruling and the an appeal would be filed as soon as possible.

VK Lingam, appearing for Mahathir, said the decision was appropriate.

Mahathir had applied in January this year to strike out the suit, in which the ex-premier accused Anwar of aspiring to become prime minister and using the suit to “rehabilitate himself for high office”.

In the 48-page affidavit, Mahathir had also maintained his claims that his ex-deputy was a homosexual, citing convictions of a former speechwriter and Anwar’s adopted brother for having sexual relationships with Anwar.

On the other hand, Anwar had said Mahathir’s remark was a “scurrilous and utterly reckless accusation” against his character and called on the latter to have “moral courage” to face him in court.

Anwar, was removed as deputy premier in 1998 and spent six years in jail for corruption and sodomy offences. The sodomy charges were overturned in 2004.

tags :

No comments: