Dec 29, 2006

Tun Mahathir and the RM 30 millions yacht from Turkey

As reported in Malaysia-Today, a letter on behalf of Tun Mahathir regarding the issue of RM30 millions yacht which allegedly purchased by our beloved PM.

Dear Sir,

Re: 'Cobra King' RM30 juta bukan milik Abdullah, kata KPMU.net

I refer to the above article by Zulkifli Mohamed that appeared in Malaysia-Today.net on Dec 26, 2006.

2. In the article the writer had quoted a certain website, alleging that a yacht, the 'Cobra King' (sic) which was being built in Turkey belonged to Yang Amat Berbahagia Tun Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad.

3. I normally do not respond to articles that appear in what I consider to be less than credible websites, even more so when the authors are opaque and choose to hide behind pseudonyms. In other words I do not take them seriously.

4. However, I must admit that when it appeared in your website, I felt a need to correct the misinformation given Malaysia Today's standing in the websphere.

5. The allegation that the yacht belongs to Dr Mahathir is a blatant lie by the author and the website that chose to publish it. As is commonly known a Turkish newspaper had earlier this month reported that the yacht belonged to Prime Minister Yang Amat Berhormat Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. The Prime Minister himself has since denied this.

6. I take exception that in their eagerness to deflect the heat off the Prime Minister, certain irresponsible quarters should now try to drag and disparage the name of Dr Mahathir.

7. This is pathetic. For your information, Dr Mahathir did go to Turkey in July this year for his holiday and to view a Turkish Gullet which was being built by her Malaysian owner who is known to Dr Mahathir as well as the Prime Minister. I am not at liberty to disclose the identity of the Malaysian. However, the yacht is certainly not Dr Mahathir's, nor does Dr Mahathir own any other yachts.

8. The report in the Turkish newspaper to my point of view questions the integrity of the country's leadership. The right course of action, to my mind in defending the credibility and integrity of the the Prime Minister, is to seek some serious explanation and possibly an apology from the Turkish newspaper. After all the Prime Minister's denial shows that the report was indeed untrue and for this the Prime Minister deserves an apology from the newspaper.

9. As for me, I have stopped asking for apologies from those out to disparage Dr Mahathir be they from the websites or from the mainstream media. But I do believe in presenting the facts as facts, unlike fiction, do not lie. It is up to readers to assess and I leave it to their discretion.

I hope that you will find some space in your website to publish this simple explanation for the benefit of Malaysia Today's readers at least. I hope also that this explanation is sufficient to answer some of the queries that I have received following the publication of the report in your news site.

Best Regards,

Sufi Yusoff
for Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad

tags :


No comments: