Jul 25, 2006

Tun Mahathir seeks UMNO gathering

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is seeking an Umno gathering to explain his stand over the spat with his handpicked successor Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

I guess he has the right to explain his opinions and point of views to the UMNO grassroot members. However, I prefer a one-to-one debate, eg. US Presidential Candidate debate and telecast live over the televisions. That should be fun to watch!.

Excerpt from MalaysiaKini

"They said it’s not true that I can’t speak to Umno members so I would like to have an Umno gathering to speak to Umno people," the former party leader told journalist today.

"If they allow me to speak then I speak because they say they are not stopping me from speaking to Umno members. So, okay, I’m going to organise an Umno meeting."

Meanwhile, Mahathir confirmed that Umno veteran and Malacca state governor Mohamad Khalil Yaakob was the mediator to help resolve the row between Abdullah and him.

“I have met Khalil (left) who is the mediator. I have told him what needs to be done. It’s up to him. I explained to him what’s the problems and he asked me how to solve the problems.

“I told him, very simple - don’t kowtow to Singapore, don’t give to many APs (approved permits to import foreign luxury cars), don’t undermine (national car maker) Proton, don’t sell (Italian motorcycle unit) MV Agusta,” he said.

Asked on the progress of the mediation, he said Khalil has yet to speak to him after the meeting, held before Mahathir left for his holidays.


tags :

No comments: